Friday, December 26, 2008

Appreciation Letter from Weldon

Here's a letter from Weldon, the Kenyan attending Dartmouth whose family needed a home.



It is with great pleasure that I write this letter of appreciation to you all!

It has been a long journey walked and big steps made towards settling my family. It never occurred to me that this was going to happen before the highly dreaded day - 23rd December. I had always prayed that I may not see my family kicked out of their present place of residence. I used to go to the library and while at the library I would go through my bank account online and feel so sorry that frequently I would see 147$ on my account. Now, I knew I needed way more than that to enable my family in Kenya to occupy the house and the plot. I would start counting the number of hours there were to complete the month without considering the fact that I had finals and major exams and papers coming up and due. I wanted to raise something substantial to enable my family to stay in the house.

One time while seated, I felt tears rolling down my cheek and questions rising in my mind, “ Why, God?” but a voice would always say to me,” Keep moving, don’t stop, it is going to be alright!” That was when I would look around and smile as though the voice was real. In fact, I would wake up as though I was sleeping and remember that I had homework due the first thing in the morning when I arrive in class. No one could guess that I was having such a burden to carry because I could smile with the rest in class, make jokes and in fact ask so many questions.

When October approached, I was one time on the green, I counted my fingers and something was telling me, “December is here, boy!” I was scared and overwhelmed! I decided to let it out and although I did not think anything would be raised, I just wanted prayers so that I may not go nuts when I hear that my parents had been kicked out of the house and are back on the streets and squatter life. I went to class and since I heard that Pastor Ken was interested in hearing more about my concerns, I never hesitated to tell him all about the project. Only that I wasn’t sure of the exact amount but had guessed 3500 which later skyrocketed to 10000, then back to 5500 after negotiating with the landlord. I never knew that anything to that effect was going to happen and in fact the trust was what I wasn’t sure whether I was going to be able to instill in everybody- given you never know exactly what the project entails until it is fully described.

I had to look for help from a friend of mine- Violaine Mitchell - in Canada who had seen my parents and the whole family. It all started appearing hopeful when she assured me that all was going to be alright, especially working together with Ken to ensure all went well. This assurance enabled me to focus on my class work and I remember telling Pastor Ken that his help was the best support for me in class.

I am truly touched that even though you know me not and in fact we haven’t met anywhere with most of you, you were able to trust my cry for help. Thank you for being soft-hearted and I truly cherish your help. I cannot repay you what you did for my family neither can I choose the best word to express my deeply ingrained appreciation but I pray that God may bless you and your families even as you get to help more in the society. I know this may not and will not be the last time I am asking for your help but thank you and thank you so much. May God bless you all that one day we may meet as we share the fruits of our humility and contribution towards helping the needy in our midst. May you all have a merry Christmas and remember that you gave the best gift ever this Christmas to my family!

Yours faithfully,
Kipkorir Weldon Kirui

No comments: