Sunday, November 9, 2008

How to Combat Racism and Political Intolerance

This post on Facebook, by Jaletta Wells Parsley, talks about the Christian antidote for the racist behavior exhibited at Baylor.
---------------------------------------
This is probably longer than a post here should be, but I posted this note on my page a few days ago, troubled by what I had read, seen & heard before I even heard about the awful stuff that happened at BU this week. Seems appropo so I wanted to share. jaletta parsley, BA 86, Psy.D. 91

Fruit = cure for political ills

love
• which prevents me from treating anyone with contempt
--political opponents
--people whose religious faith I don’t understand or share
--the poor (who actually aren’t a giant group of people too lazy to work who want my money).
• which allows me to see all people (even political adversaries) as whole human beings whom God made and God loves.

joy
• that I live in a country where we can have a transfer of power from one political party to another without bloodshed or widespread corruption. amazing when you really think about it. ask someone from Zimbabwe.
• that barriers were broken for minorities and for women that may inspire young people to work harder and do more good because they see possibilities they never saw before.

peace
• because I know my security doesn’t ultimately come from the US government anyway.

patience
• with my friends from both sides who think they know everything and aren’t respectful to those who disagree with them.

kindness
• which allows me to acknowledge the remarkable gifts, abilities and accomplishments of all the candidates, not just the ones I support. seriously, they ALL have them! seriously.
• which motivates me to change the tv channel/radio station when I hear stuff that feeds bitterness and anger instead of reason and good will.

goodness
• which prevents me from passing on unfair attacks or distortions even if it might accomplish something politically or just feels good to say or write.
• which makes me more committed to fairness, honesty and integrity than to victory.
• which makes me want liberty and justice for all, not just myself and those who agree with me.

gentleness
• which won’t let me treat people who disagree with me like they are complete idiots.
• which compels me to admit I don’t know everything.
• which makes me apologize and admit arrogance or bitterness in myself when I need to.

faithfulness
• to genuinely pray for health, well-being, wisdom and success for all our political leaders.
• to humbly follow Christ the best I know how even when its politically inconvenient.

self-control
• which closes my mouth before I say things that are hateful, irrational and ignorant.
• which closes my mouth before I use sarcasm or wit in a hurtful way to belittle people who disagree with me.
• which sometime just closes my mouth.

No comments: